Friday 4 December 2009

Art of Photography: Assignment 1 - Diagonal/Rounded

I quite enjoyed this category. I decided to base it on football, focusing on the goal for the diagonal image and the ball for the rounded image.

For the 'Diagonal' image my idea was to show the diagonal of the goal structure prominent in the frame, with blurred action in the background. I wanted the blurred action to show it was a football match but with the main focus on the frame of the goal. This I felt I achieved quite well, using a wide aperture to blur the players and capturing a suitable 'action' shot. However I was unsure how well the goal frame shows the 'diagonal' theme.

For the 'Rounded' image I simply wanted to capture an interesting action shot with the football featuring very prominently in the frame. Ideally I hoped this would be very dynamic with the football heading towards or close to the camera, so it was very large in the frame, and players again in the background. This proved quite difficult as the very limited lighting limited me to slower shutter speeds. Even with the aperture at its widest and ISO at its highest I could only get 1/60 or 1/80th of a second. This meant any time I tried to get the image I wanted the photograph was too blurred as the ball was invariably moving very fast. The high ISO also meant the images had a fair amount of noise. In the end the images which I felt I could select from were not quite as dynamic and still a little blurred.

However I did really enjoy photographing a sport which I love and would like to try this again on another day, perhaps with better lighting so I could capture much sharper images.

Diagonal

Image taken at f/2.8, 1/80 sec, ISO-1600 and 100mm.

Rounded

Image taken at f/2.8, 1/80 sec, ISO-1600 and 100mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment