Monday 23 November 2009

Art of Photography: Assignment 1 - Black/White

Whilst the idea for this category tries to convey a serious message or idea, shooting the photographs was a lot of fun. As with the Hard/Soft category I didn't have any experience with photographing or directing people and it was all a learning curve. However I had gained a little bit of confidence by this point and felt more able to ask for the types of expressions I wanted.

I was quite pleased with some aspects of the photographs. I was happy with the lighting and equally pleased with the expressions captured. We tried many different expressions on the day so I had a few to choose from.

However, I wasn't quite as pleased with how the make-up turned out. I have no experience with make-up whatsoever and we didn't know which would be best to use and which could produce the best results. I had hoped the make-up would be flat and even, to look more like natural skin. I felt this would make people think more, as they would at first see a natural looking face and then realise that the skin colour was different to the shoulders and body. As you can see from the pictures the make-up was quite uneven and is clearly not natural, instead being instantly recognizable as make-up. I would have wished this to be better but I still believe the images convey the message I wished, just a little less subtlely. Again this was all part of the learning for me. Overall though I am still pleased with this category.

Black

Image taken at f/2.8, 1/200 sec, ISO-100 and 100mm.

White

Image taken at f/2.8, 1/200 sec, ISO-100 and 100mm.

No comments:

Post a Comment