Wednesday 26 August 2009

Art of Photography: Project 6

When I reached project 6 I didn't have too many idea's for subjects. I was reminded about making notes about places, settings and shapes which would be good for photographs and I have now started doing this.

I had also just read about looking through the viewfinder and trying to find interesting images in familiar surroundings. I think it was partly this being on my mind that made me choose a park picnic table for this project. Something which is familiar and on first appearance quite boring. I'm not really sure that I managed any images which made it more interesting but I am happy that I attempted it and will try to see more potential images in things in the future.


This is the first image taken, without much thought for composition, shapes, placement. Taken at f/4, 1/1000 sec, ISO-200, 70mm.


The second image is taken to try and fill the frame with the subject. Taken at f/4.5, 1/800 sec, ISO-200, 133mm.


The third image zooms in to fill the entire frame with just a part of the subject. Taken at f/16, 1/250 sec, ISO-800, 300mm.


The last image is zoomed out so that the subject fills only a small part of the frame, and emphasizes more of the background.

It is clear from doing this project that the way you view a subject and compose the image makes a very big difference to the quality of the photograph, even with an ordinary everyday subject.

My favourite image from this project is the third image, a close-up of the bench top. I find that I like close-up, macro images and enjoy trying to photograph the kind of detail in subjects that isn't always seen or isn't immediately obvious.

My second choice would probally be the fourth photograph because the background in this image provides more interest and a 'setting' for a quite plain subject such as the bench.

In the second image I was trying to show an interesting shape but it didn't really work and I believe too much of the image is uninteresting. And finally the first image is the worst.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I really like the second image. O__O
    I don't know why exactly, but for some reason the symmetry and the colors just makes it appealing to me.
    Looking forward to your upcoming projects.

    ReplyDelete