Tuesday 11 August 2009

Art of Photography: Project 2

For this project I found two different scenes. One was a row of trees and the second was a field of wild flowers.

Firstly, I enjoyed the fact that this project made me look at things in a different way. I have not yet had to travel further a field to find things to photograph, but even in my 'usual places' I found that looking for scenes with depth and recurring objects made me see things differently and I was aware of more opportunities for photographs where I had seen none before.

I also found that although I have had a little experience with depth of field before, actually finding somewhere and making it work was not as easy as I thought it would be. I believe the project helped me to learn more about depth of field in practice and that I would now be able to use it in a creative manner with more confidence.

The first set of three images are of a row of trees. Each image was taken at f/5.6, 1/50 sec, ISO400 at 214mm.



Here the camera is focused on the nearest tree.



Here the camera is focused on the centre tree.



And here the camera is focused on the furthest tree.

For the second set I selectively focused on a group of wild flowers. All images were taken at f/5.6, 1/400 sec, ISO400 at 300mm.



Here the focus is on the flowers at the front.



Here focused on the central flowers.



And here focused on the furthest flowers.

As for which version I prefer, I would say I prefer either the first or second image in both sets. However I believe that neither set uses depth of field very effectively or in a way that I might choose to use it, but they were very helpful in learning about depth of field.

It is clear that using depth of field and focusing selectively can help to really draw the viewer to a certain part of the image. That may be by focusing on an area in the centre or top of an image to draw the viewer into the scene, or by focusing on the foreground area and isolating the subject from the background or providing a setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment