Saturday 22 August 2009

Art of Photography: Project 5

Before starting this project I always felt that I wasn't keen on blurred images and moving subjects, always favouring sharp pictures. However, I really enjoyed this project and quite like a couple of the pictures that came from it.

I also realised that there is quite a skill to capturing subjects sharply whilst panning the camera, and I enjoyed experimenting to find the shutter speed which worked best for the speed of the jumpers and the speed at which I panned the camera. There were a couple of images which worked ok and many that didn't.

I would really of liked to be able to capture one of the subjects in sharp detail, mid jump, with a blurred background, but I didn't manage to on this occasion. However, it is something I will probally try again, in other areas too, and with practice hopefully improve.


An early example. It was hard to pan and keep the runner in focus. f/8, 1/30 sec, ISO-200, 108mm.


Another early try. Here I managed to capture the subject quite sharply but in the process of panning the camera I cut off the top of his head!


This one worked quite well and I managed to capture his face and its expression quite sharply whilst everything else was blurred. f/7.1, 1/50 sec, ISO-200, 92mm.


Another one which is fairly sharp, though not from a very good angle. f/4.5, 1/50 sec, ISO-200, 92mm.


Similar to above, fairly sharp subject but not a very good angle. f/4, 1/40 sec, ISO-200, 86mm.


This was actually my favourite of the day! The subject is not sharp as I was trying to do at the time, but it was taken when the sun was starting to disappear and both arms and legs seem to have reflected light and there is a lot of colour in the image. Also with a slower shutter speed of 1/20 sec there is a sense of speed. f/8, 1/20 sec, ISO-200, 81mm.

I enjoyed this project and as I said before I will probally try this again before long.

No comments:

Post a Comment